CS 340 Programming
Language Workshop in Python (1 Credit)
· Office Hrs
: MW, 3-4pm , 395 Joshi (or
· One and Only Class : September 7, Wednesday, 3-3:30pm, 399 Joshi
course is designed as a self-study in Python. You are expected to learn the
language and solve a set of programming problems assigned to you from Budd's
text using Python available from http://www.python.org.
There are no exams. We officially meet only once in the quarter.
However, I will be available in the posted office hours for clarifications
and discussions about the programming problems.
- Experience with programming in C++/Java.
- Timothy Budd: Exploring Python. McGraw-Hill,
2009, ISBN-13: 978-0073523378.
programming assignment will be graded as Pass/Unsatisfactory, and the
letter grade 'P' or 'U' will be assigned at the end of the course.
- All work must be turned-in by November 3,
- Do not expect an incomplete for any reason. Each assignment
will also have a separate deadline.
- You must pass all the assignments to pass the course.
The code you turnin must be your own creation.
Copying code from available books, or cutting and
pasting code from the Internet is strictly prohibited because it defeats
the whole purpose of the course.
- Each program should be well-documented and adequately
- You must turnin
well-documented source code runnable using
Python, a README.txt with a brief description of the program, and where
applicable, sample test inputs and outputs to indicate that you have
tested your code adequately, as a single zip-archive for
To turnin the ith
assignment (where i = 1,2,3,4),
create the archive asgi.zip, and execute the
following shell command on unixapps1:
- You may also be required to demonstrate your code in my
office hours after the due date.
Problems, Page No. (Budd)
Basic Function Definition
Exercises 2, 4, 5 Pages 60-61
(For problem 5, you are not
required to generate the ‘day’.)
Exercises 14, 15 Page 84
Exercise 1 Page 123;
Exercises 11, 12 Page 138
(Write a driver program to
instantiate and test Rectangle class.)
Exercise 4 Pages 241-242
(Write a driver program to test